Thursday, February 2, 2012

Driving Miss Daisy's Grandmother

I drive like a grandma here.  No...more like a grandma's great grandmother.  Paranoia.  I  need to take some time to sit down and study some German road signage.  I drove 4 of us last night as we were trying to meet up for dinner at the Greek restaurant.  I think we circled Burghausen 4 times despite the GPS (yes, the GPS was set to English).  Luckily for the locals, the traffic was at a minimum that time of night.  I even had a police car behind me for a bit and I am sure he wondered why the heck this fancy car was going so freakin slow.  Didn't get pulled over though (I'm just good like that)  =)    Obviously we made it there safe, but I was thinking today when I drove around town again how silly my s l o w driving is.  It is rather intimidating though, to me at least.

Heading to a stammtish =)


Add on:
The best advice I received before I left was from my mother:  "Don't try to be American in Germany, BE GERMAN."  

Thus, tonight instead of ordering something known and comfortable, I dove right in and ordered the classic German dish (classic in regards to the American stereotype of Germans):  A Wiener Schnitzel!   I loved it.  Totally awesome.  Served with french fries so the whole dish was fried, but still yummy.  And better yet - German!  My boss' boss sat with us while we ate so he explained the different things that were served and answered questions on the proper way to eat the dish.  He taught us some German and we taught him some English.  (The dish was served with a small side of cranberries so he told us it is traditional for a meat to be served with a jam like that.)  Very cool.

I would attach a pic of the meal, but I can't figure out this flipping phone yet.


I also taught some southern prononciation to our interpreters...that was a lot of fun y'all!



Later Gators

1 comment: