Saturday, February 4, 2012

Die Alpen

Oh.  My.  Goodness.  It should be a requirement for ALL ex-pats to take a drive to the Alps.  It was about an hour and a half drive and simply unbelievable.  Three of us took the excursion with the intent to go snow tubing.

We stopped along the way and took some pictures but it is SO hard to convey the sheer beauty of the scenery.  As the Alps finally came into view, all of us just froze in awe.

Once we made it to the destination, it was a little city in the middle of no where on the mountain.  We parked the car and walked around.  Lots of little shops, restaurants and of course, ski shops.  I needed some snow boots and the 2 guys I was with needed ski pants so we went to three or four different stores.  I had a bit of sticker shock though - 100 euros for a pair of snow boots - no thank you!  They were $10 at Walmart before I left, but I had already shipped my crate and I was afraid of how much room would be in my suitcases.  Good thing I didn't buy them because I couldn't have fit one more Qtip into any one of my four bags.  Needless to say, I really didn't want to play in the snow with regular tennis shoes for fear of my feet getting wet.  We all agreed to just look around and wait to snow tube next time around.  It was a very cute little town so we took some time to walk around the block and look around.  Lots of little shops and restaurants.  We decided to stop for a coffee and a bite to eat.  Our waitress spoke little English - make that NO English.  She didn't even understand my redneck German believe it or not!  Needless to say, it was a struggle to get something ordered.  I ordered stilleswassa and received mineral water (those who know me well know I can't STAND anything carbonated.)  I made up for it with a cappuccino.  Then it came time to order food.  I have been trying to "live German" so I ordered something that sounded German.  One of my colleagues made the same guess at something to eat so we sat in anticipation of what we had actually ordered.

Here she comes.  Food in hand.  What does she bring.....


Yep.  A plate of Swiss cheese.  48 pieces of Swiss cheese with 2 pretzels sticking up.  No wonder she smiled with a "Silly Americans" grin.  And what did my colleague get on his plate?  Essentially, he received a plate full of 8 small hot dogs.  We laughed so hard.  I graciously traded 17 pieces of cheese for a hot dog.  Good times.  The worst part was that a couple sitting near by had gotten up from finishing their meal and as they left, the gentleman said "Enjoy your meal have a nice day."  WHAT?!?!?!  You just sat here and watched us hack the German language to pieces with our southern accents and you sat there and listened to me order a plate of cheese!!!  REALLY???  Regardless, we decided to redeem ourselves with some dessert.  I have been wanting to try and apple strudel but they were sold out.  My colleague ordered another apple dessert and man...it was friggin awesome.  I don't remember what it was called (I just realized I say that a lot).


By this time we had provided enough laughs for the entire restaurant so we decided it was time to leave this quaint little town.

We drove a little bit further up the mountain and stopped for a few photo ops:



Poor excuse for a Captain Morgan pose:

Point being, this was an incredible drive.  Well worth it to spend a day enjoying a drive with great company.  



No comments:

Post a Comment