Sunday, March 18, 2012

Almost European? Nope. Still American.

The weather was beautiful today.  And when I say beautiful, I mean a stark contrast to the -12C blizzard conditions from 6 weeks ago.  I really have no idea HOW warm it was, but there was actually some sunshine.  I almost got hot.

The shops were open today (Sunday).  I'm not privy to the special name for this, but it was pretty neat nonetheless.  Of course you have to remember that typically there is absolutely nothing open on Sundays!  Maybe a gas station or two but thats IT.  I was a lazy American this morning (-1 point).  Slept in until 10:15 (good grief that felt good though).  Had coffee on the balcony (+1 point).  Then at 13:00 left to walk up and down Marktlstrasse for the very first time.  (Not sure if you can count the 13:00 time notation as European since I am a military brat, but we will consider it slightly European as well...+1 point).

I was brave an ventured from my apartment for the first time with no jacket.  I felt like such a rebel despite slight panicky feelings wondering if I would be frozen in 10 min.  The streets were truly abuzz with people and music.  It was quite nice actually.  I did not do as the locals did and sit in the street-side cafes eating monstrous ice creams (-1 point).  Instead, I just walked by and took their picture (-2 points for being a tourist).



After a few hours of shopping and buying touristy things for my friends back home (-1 point), I dropped my bags off at the apartment.  +2 points for walking and not driving.

I actually felt guilty I was inside my "flat" for 30 min with the weather being so nice (+1 point).  My colleague called and we went WALKING to look at the castle.  Sad that I have lived here for 6 or 7 weeks or whatever and still have not visited the castle grounds.  Oops.

I am typing this while listening to German TV (+1 point.)

I wore my cammo hat today (-2 points).

I had an American dinner (-1 point).

We sat at the cafe at the castle and had a cappuccino (+1 point).

Total tally:
American = -8
European = +7



Still have some work to do I guess....


No comments:

Post a Comment