Friday, January 27, 2012

Scatterbrained

I cried the entire one hour drive to work this morning.  The stress has finally gotten the better of me.  I am emotionally, physically and mentally drained.  Three months of preparation is finally becoming a reality and it's quite overwhelming.  Even with my mom in town to help with odd errands and tasks, I still feel like I am behind on so many things or that I am forgetting SOMETHING.  


Everyone looked drained today at work.  Our brains are simply overloaded with information, tasks, a new language, etc etc etc.  This whole process is exhaustive.  


We had a stammtisch at BW3s the other night and one of my colleagues asked what we feared most about our upcoming endeavor.  I really couldn't answer with anything truly significant.  I guess I can credit that to the lifestyle of a dual military family.  I do have quite an extensive list of fears, but nothing unique.  I guess my biggest fear is the onset of homesickness.  I'm sure my "lows" will be very low and I dread the feeling of isolation from my family.  I have lived 1,000 miles from my parents for years so I have become accustomed to that feeling, but half way around the world?!?!  Yikes.  The support of my family and friends, new and old, has become more important to me now than has ever been in my life before.  And then to be away from my son....sigh....again, thats a whole new set of tears.  


My bags are packed, literally.  Four days to go.  Only the odds and ends left to decipher, however they seem never ending!  My to-do list is definitely inversely proportional to my time remaining in the states.  


The language class was extremely beneficial and has eased my concern for the language barrier.  I hope to become involved in additional classes above and beyond what is offered.  I also hope to spend some time teaching the Germans English to help them when they arrive in the US next year.  Staying busy will be important in order for me to stay sane.  


It is very comforting what we have been told about the Germans' anticipation of our arrival.  I can only hope the Germans receive an equally warm welcome to the US.


Guten Abend mein Freunden.


No comments:

Post a Comment